March 6, 2010

Autorama 2010 final shots and thoughts

Today I'll close out my thoughts on the 2010 Detroit Autorama.

It was a really interesting experience and I have shared a number of photos of very cool cars and motorcycles. But there really is more to the show than the fancy cars and trucks. It's a people party with hundreds of thousands milling around and the common theme was that they all liked cars. But in the basement and in the back corners were things that I really didn't expect. Quite honestly, I didn't expect to see as many motorcycles as I did. Anyway, here's a last look.

I snagged this off the Cobo website, it's the room totally empty. It looks large, but you really don't have a good sense of the size until you see a full size semi truck parked and it's no where near the ceiling.

The trip over was fun filled, the boys had spent the night at Church for an all nighter. Needless to say, they were a bit tired.
Here's Spencer dozing.

Ian brought his pillow, not sure it helped that much, but he looks more comfortable.

The lovely and talented Holly, she did the classic self photo

A rare appearance for me, I think that this is the only shot I was in all day long. It's best to keep the camera in your own pocket.

A Michigan classic, Vernors Ginger Ale, I personally don't care for it, but it's big around here.

This kind of truck/van has always appealed to me because it's just so odd. The flames really make it look good.

A homemade dump truck with paint that changes color as you walked around it

In this back location it was just odd stuff, like this corn picker that had teeth and was titled "Corn Stalker"

Not really sure what this thing was supposed to be/do. But it looks like they had fun putting it together.

Here's a neat creation. An old Ford modified so that the back popped up and ta da! You had a 2 seat stocked bar. I wanted to stop but Holly didn't think that was a good idea.

In the far back corner these two high speed boats. The looked ok, but seemed out of place.

For the crowd that never grew up, there was a section of probably 50 or so custom bicycles. Like this wooden beauty. I asked how much it weighed and the guy that built it said it's not so bad, I can pick it up. I was made of Oak and 3/4" plywood.

This little piece of art really looked cool. Pretty sure you can't ride it, but it was really well done.

Here are some general crowd shots.
Main floor

Main floor

Main floor

Main floor

Main floor

Lower level

Lower level

Lower level

Lower level

Zoomed in

Other, seemingly random things
A slot car race track that was working

A space shuttle simulator?

Hot Wheels Collectables? I know they're cars, but really...

Toy cars, models, car comic books...

More Crap

One of many special appearance locations. $20 for a signature from the Fonz

DJ hard at work, I actually saw him scritching, I think that's the term. I moved away quickly, not my kind of music.

Stuck to the side of a less that stellar truck that was repainted. Does anyone remember Earl Sheib?

Scary truck, this one looked like it'd been driven to the location.

A modified VW camper van. I took this for Billie

Down in the basement there were these asian girls that were trying to run a Karaoke contest to give away tickets to a Detroit Pistons game. The girl we heard singing was so bad it was funny.

They really lowered this one didn't they?


And there you have it. I hope you enjoyed the posts as much as I enjoyed doing them.

Autorama is a great experience, especially in Motor City.

Have an awesome day!
Pat

No comments: