October 25, 2008

Photo of the day, Saturday, 10/25/08

Wow! I'm home for the whole weekend. Of course it wasn't without some scouting stuff going on. The boys and I went and staked out the Family Fare Store in Sparta to sell that world famous Boy Scout Popcorn. Those that have purchased from us, Thanks a ton! For those that haven't yet, there's still time.
;-)

Selling popcorn in the vestibule of a store in a small town in west Michigan was really an eye opener for me. I am certain that some of the people buying couldn't really afford to spend that right now. Not sure about every where else, but here in Michigan, we are 2 to 3 years into a good, old fashioned recession. In fact GM just closed a large stamping plant on the south side of Grand Rapids, ouch! But the people that believe in Boy Scouts, they just don't seem to care that times are tough. I stood and talked with a retiree, on a fixed income, and he had just bought some $18 carmel corn and we talked about his adventures in the Boundry Waters area while he was a scout. They didn't sell popcorn, but they did sell stuff to finance the trip. He was really a cool guy. I wished the boys had talked more with him. But they didn't, they were busy.

How could they be too busy to talk with a customer? They were solicitating everyone that came into or out of the store and so I guess they figured once they got the customer to me, I could be the "Closer". The boys were great! They were both very polite and even if the potential customer didn't acknoldge them, they would say "Thanks anyway and have a great day!" I never saw them get down or rude. I was kind of stunned, Ian did ask the time a couple of times, but on the whole, they were there and knew the goal. It was awesome!

Later we did our chores. It's been so long I kind of forgot what my chores were. So I cleaned out the garage and put the bike up for the winter. As the photo shows, I am now able to park in the garage and shouldn't have to scrape in the morning any more. Yay!



Have a great day!
Pat

No comments: